Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Temptation...

My topic for this weekend's rally is "What Can God Do For You: When you face temptation?" I had to do some soul-searching on this topic because I often fall into the same trap as everyone else. I find myself sometimes using God as a last resort instead of a first line of defense.
As mortal beings, we see ourselves as capable of confronting any problem, warding off any disaster and being our own best friend. The Bible tells us otherwise. Job 5:6-7 says "Affliction does not come from the dust, neither does trouble sprout from the ground, for man is born for trouble, as sparks fly upward." and Jeremiah 4:18 affirms "Your ways and your deeds have brought these things to you. This is your evil. How bitter! How it has touched your heart." We are bound to cause ourselves problems, often because we try to take the place of God or replace God with something else.
The Arameans learned the folly of "limiting " God in I Kings 20:28. "Then a man of God came near and spoke to the king of Israel and said, "Thus says the Lord, 'Because the Arameans have said, "The Lord is a god of the mountains, but He is not a god of the valleys"; therefore I will give all this great multitude into your hand, and you shall know that I am the Lord."
God is the God of all. He will deliver us if we allow it. I Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, that you may be able to endure it."
He loves all mankind. but His people are special to Him. He will provide an escape.
Are you looking for one?

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to hearing you speak on Saturday! I hope I'm not too busy running around and get to sit in on your class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chuck and keep it going! I'm looking forward to being your co-worker on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete